The Joinery Method for Flat Fee Projects
Once I have your mockup, I’ll get a preliminary estimate back to you in two days or less. Here’s my workflow:
- I review your mockup and break it down into blocks.
- I look at my library of blocks and find ones that are like yours. Then I estimate how long it will take to tweak each block to match your spec.
- I send you the line-item worksheet with estimated costs for three different timelines: fast, normal, and slow. The slower the timeline, the lower the price.
- If the estimated timeline and cost are in your ballpark (my preliminary estimate is usually within +/- 15% of the final), we move to the next step: clarifying the mockup and drafting a contract.
- We’ll schedule two rounds to review your mockup. Depending on the size and clarity of the mockup, this could take from 3 to 6 days.
- Round One: I’ll thoroughly review your mockup and draft a list of questions to ensure that at least 95% of the appearance and functionality of your site is defined by a mockup or description and that you and I agree on what that is. I have a detailed guideline for the design handoff that will help you anticipate most of the questions I might ask. What we are looking for is full agreement on what is being delivered. Neither of us should be surprised. You answer the questions and return them to me.
- Round Two: I review your answers and if necessary clarify again.
After the Design Review, within a business day I provide a final binding quote for the price and timeline.